New Netherland 1621-1664
Immigrants to New Netherland
In the Oak Tree
Sailed from from Amsterdam May 17, 1641
Arrived at New Amsterdam in August 20, 1641
Persons to the Colony of Rensselaerswyck:
Adriaen van der Donck
Breda, (in the province of North Brabant) son of Cornelis van der Donck, who appears in New Netherland in 1655. Adriaen van der Donck was commissioned officer of justice, or schout, of Rensselaerswyck, May 13, 1641, and sailed four days later by den Eyckenboom. He occupied a farm on Castle Island till Jan. 17, 1646, when the house was destroyed by fire and he and his wife, the daughter of the Rev. Francis Doughty, temporarily accepted the hospitality of Antony de Hooges. Feb. 23, after a quarrel with de Hooges, he left the latter's house and moved to the fort (see de Hooges' account of the quarrel, O'Callaghan, History of New Netherland, 1:469-70, erroneously attributed to van Curler, who was at the time in Holland). May 3, 1646, van der Donck was still in the colony, but soon after he left and established a sawmill and plantation on the Saegh kil, in his colony of Colendonck, in the present city of Yonkers, for which he had obtained a grant in 1645. Before leaving Rensselaerswyck, he transferred to Cornelis Segersz van Voorhout the remaining three years' lease of his farm on Castle Island. He was succeeded as officer by Nicolaes Coorn. Early in May 1646, in an account with Abraham Clock, de Hooges refers to van der Donck as de Joncker, which is probably the earliest mention of the title and which may have reference to his having recently become proprietor of a colony. Adriaen van der Donck died in 1655.
Andries de Vos
Was a carpenter by trade and sailed by den Eyckenboom in May 1641. He occupied a farm (at Bethlehem?) from 1642 and in Oct. 1648 is referred to as gerechts persoon (member of the court). January 21, 1649, the court of the colony decided that he must pay f62:10 a year for the patroon's rights of the mill at Bethlehem. Oct. 18, 1650, he entered into an agreement to lease the creek south of Thomas Chambers' farm for six years at an annual rent of f75 and to erect thereon a saw- and grist-mill, but Feb. 16, 1651, he was released from his obligation on the ground of inconvenience. He was a brother in law of Barent Pietersz Koijemans.
Cornelis Hendricksz van Nes
Was in the colony in 1641, and probably came with Andries de Vos, on den Eyckenboom. From 1642, he is charged with tithes of a farm at Bethlehem, which he seems to have occupied til the fall of 1648, when van Slichtenhorst brought actions against him for calling him a liar and a cheat and for throwing oat straw on the dump heap out of spite against the director and to the detriment of the next lessee. In April 1649, he made preparations to leave the colony, but for some reason stayed and Aug. 25, 1650, he leased, for eight years at f225 a year, a farm in Greenbush, formerly occupied by Teunis Cornelisz van Vechten, together with six morgens of land belonging to the adjoining farm of Teunis Dircksz van Vechten. Van Nes served as raets persoon (councilor) of Rensselaerswyck, at an annual salary of f50, from 1652 to 1658, and again in 1660, 1661 and 1663. He lived with his wife Maijgen Hendricksen, at Vianen, province of South Holland, in 1625, and owned land at Scherperswyck, near Leksmond, in the neighborhood of Vianen, as late as 1661.