Ship Journey: 1638 - Love (Liefde), bound for Renssalaerswyck

Ship Name
Love (Liefde)
Departure Location
Departure Date
Arrival Date
Ship Journey Information

New Netherland 1621-1664
Immigrants to New Netherland

In The Love
Sailed from the Texel September 25, 1638
Arrived New Amsterdam December 27, 1638

    David Pieterz de Vries1

    Frederik de Vries1

    Peter van der Linde and wife2

Persons to the Colony of Rensselaerswyck:

    Willem Jeuriaensz
    Commonly referred to as Willem Jeuriaensz Backer (the baker), once, in 1646, as Willem Jeuriaensz, alias Capitaijn, and again, in 1650, as Capiteijn (captain). He made a contract with Kiliaen van Rensselaer, May 7, 1638, and sailed by "the ship of the West India Company," presumably de Liefde. He is credited from about 1641 to Oct. 8, 1647, with wages earned by baking on the farms of Symon Walichsz and Gerrit de Reux and on the farm called de Vlackte; also, in 1643, with boards furnished to various farmers, apparently from the sawmill of Carsten Carstensz, in which he may have had an interest. At first he probably worked with Harry Albertsz, baker, who sailed for Holland about April 1641. Willem Juriaensz was sentenced to banishment from the colony for various misdeeds on Feb. 4, 1644, and again on Aug. 29, 1647, for attacking de Hooges with a knife, but in each case respite was granted on condition that he refrain from molesting people. In 1650 new charges were brought against him and July 18, 1650, he was once more sentenced to banishment from the colony, the court resolving July 27, 1650, that he be brought in irons on board the yacht of Rutger Jacobsz and taken to the Manhatans. Aug. 4, 1650, he was released to settle his affairs, on promise that he would comply with the last sentence, but whether on account of his old age (in 1650 he is described as fully 70 years of age), or for other reasons, nothing more seems to have been done in the matter. Nov. 30, 1651, Willem Juriaensz declared that he refused to fulfil his contract with Jan van Hoesen, dated January 30, 1650, and January 18, 1652, the court gave Jan van Hoesen permission to occupy the erf (lot, or bakery) of Willem Juriaensz, on condition that the latter be allowed to dwell in his house as long as he lived ofte de gelegenheijt presenteert (or an opportunity for removing to another place presented itself). Cf. O'Callaghan, History of New Netherland, 1:437-38.

1Van Rensselaer Bowier Mss,, ©1908; p 64
2Caldendar of Dutch Historical Mss, Register of the Provincial Secretary, April 18, 1639; E. B. O'Callaghan, (c)1865, p. 7.

Source: #76