Lot: Friends Meeting House (Historical Markers Database)

Friends Meeting House
Lot Group
Historical Markers Database
Date Start

Date: 1694
The Friends Meeting House was the first house of worship in the village of Flushing. It is New York City’s oldest house of worship in continuous use, and the second oldest in the nation. The house was built in 1694, and provided Flushing’s Quakers with their first permanent place of worship. Until that time, Quakers attended services in the kitchen of John Bowne’s house, a few blocks away. Bowne himself is buried in the graveyard behind the meeting house. The Friends Meeting House has served its original purpose for more than 300 years – interrupted only briefly during the American Revolution, when the British used it as a prison, a hospital, and a stable. The meeting house was built with 40 foot timbers of Oak trees from the area. The two sets of doors were originally used as separate entrances for men and women.